Translate

Thursday 12 September 2013

The Nirbhaya / Jyoti / Delhi rape case sentencing

So the sentencing is finally tomorrow. I've had these feelings of extreme anger when I think of the 3 year sentence given to the youngest and worst of the *&^$££&* lot. Spoken/written to my friends in the Delhi media who of course, feel the same like all of the horrific enormity of the situation - where are the new laws to prevent this happening, etc etc. It all boils down to the same story of the corruption prevalent at all levels, increasing the higher up the political ladder.
Apparently, there are much more similar cases the media have no permission to breathe about.
Then the Mumbai journalist rape case....its never going to end. I stopped reading the Indian news for a while after that in frustration. Which doesn't help at all.
More important than sentencing them to death tomorrow is making the public aware of the enormity of doing something like this - I think of that poor girl and feel sick - how many times I've passed the same road at night returning from work or a night out etc, many years ago - the difference was I was in a car, not walking.
A couple of my friends, one at NDTV and one at the Indian Express have written fantastic in depth blogs on this, upsetting to read but both eye-openers.
Thoughts in a muddle as is visible from this writing, but, I've given up, India's attitude to women is not going to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment